Sunday, December 12, 2010

Are you are a Glossophobia...?

Alhamdulillah, thanks to Allah for giving me another chance to breathe for another new day.

The word for the day is Glossophobia meaning that having fear in speaking in front of people. So, how suppose Glossophobia have to do with my blog? Well, it has nothing to do with my blog but it have to do with my knowledge and my experience in BeST program. On the fifth day in the program (8th December 2010), I’ve been exposed about the art of public speaking by Mr. Hisham Ab. Karim and Ms. Shadwan Hanani.

To be the best public speaker, it is very crucial to overcome the Glossophobia first. We cannot talk in front of other people if we are afraid to do so. To overcome that fear, we must begin within ourselves by improving our confidence and self-motivation level. Think positive, think that we can do it and built up the strength from the within to go to the front and speak up. We should keep on practicing talking in front of the mirror in order to built up the confidence and improve our word pronunciation and make us ready with our presentation.

I’ve learned about the various elements that involve in effective public speaking including volume (loud or soft), rate (fast or slow), emphasis and articulation. One should master all these elements so he or she can become a good public speaker. An effective public speaker is able to speak confidently with new people, choose interesting subject, organize a speech that captures the audience’s attention, use language properly and sensitive to others opinion.

During the session, I’ve done the word and phrase emphasis exercise and pronunciation exercise. At the end of the session, Ms. Nani had assigned all the participants with an individual presentation regarding the main topic that had been given according the group. My group’s topic is about food and technology. The presentation is on 21st December 2010. So, I guess I should be prepared from now. I will be a person that will like to speak to the mirror starting from now on. It is time for me to build up my confidence level. You go girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment